Family 2014

Family 2014

Saturday, August 6, 2011

August 6, 2010

It hard to believe that it has been a year since I received a call that shattered my dreams. Things were starting to look so good for adopting from Nepal. I still can remember what time of day it was and what I was doing. It was early afternoon and I was just getting ready to log on the computer and see if there was any new news about Nepal. My cell phone rang and I heard the ringtone of my adoption agency. They were suppose to call that day, but not until later in the afternoon. That should have been my first clue that something was wrong. I answered and immediately knew something was wrong when my caseworker sighed before she started talking. I remember sitting down in the chair just in shock when I heard the news that our government had suspended adoptions from Nepal. Just the week before they said they were happy with the progress that Nepal government was making and then out of nowhere came this. I remember sitting there with tears streaming down my face not saying anything as my caseworker talked on and on. My husband was home and saw I was crying and continued to work in the garage with the door open just watching and waiting for me to tell him what was going on. I remember us just sitting in the living room together just in shock. Our minds just couldn't comprehend what we had just heard. The kids were not around and I do not remember why now. I remember just walking around going through the motions, but not feeling like I was really there.
Children of Nepal, I will not forget you!!
Please read an article that puts words to what I have always wanted to say when someone asks me why we can't adopt from Nepal. This is why international adoption is in a crisis and countries close and you will continue to see countries close to adoption. Please read!!

I will not forget the children that are being left behind because of politics. They are the innocent that are being punished.

4 comments:

  1. My thoughts are with you and all the families that did not get their children and all the children that will never have a family. August 6th will forever be a sad day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link Lisa! I shared it on my FB wall. How (sadly) informative. It is so disheartening. The Philippines just said that they have 1000 families who have applications in to adopt. There are FAR more orphans that that there so why is it taking YEARS to match families? It is all so frustrating. I also didn't know but some countries do not ALLOW the adoption of special needs children from other countries. We have totally lost sight of the children amongst all the politics, rules and red tape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about you yesterday. It does get a little easier after the first year, even though you will always remember. Keep the faith - you'll be holding your daughter soon enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, August 6th brought back some really sad feelings, and we still wonder where our Nepal child is now.

    ReplyDelete